Re: [CSS21] text-decoration/visibility

On 11/13/09 1:26 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> Yes, I'm not sure why relative positioning on B's box should be
> expected to take anything out of boxes that contain it.

Because the mental model at least some people seem to have of relative
positioning is that it's a purely graphical effect: you paint the thing
into its own surface, and then composite the surface with an offset.

Or something.  This is the only way I can explain some of the
requirements on relative positioning in the spec...

Note that neither Webkit nor Gecko actually implement this behavior at
this time; Opera does; I don't have IE8 on hand right this second to
check.  I can guarantee that for Gecko in standards mode the parent (the
one the text-decoration is specified on) in fact paints the text
decorations, period.

-Boris