Re: radial-gradient() proposal

On Nov 5, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

>> Is Tranforms the only other module using angles right now?
>
> SVG - http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html
>
> It doesn't use the CSS module, but CSS transforms was designed to be
> compatible.

Ah. I see. So it seems that if a person is familiar with the backwards
way that SVG specifies linear angles (if that's what it does, or is it
just for rotating, etc.?), then that person might reasonably expect
CSS to behave in a similar way, even though it goes against everything
else he would expect from a lifetime of seeing diagrams of angles and
tools for measuring angles in the opposite direction.

Or is it just rotate() and skew() in SVG? Because frankly, if so, then
I don't have any problem at all with linear directions following the
protactor convention, and transforms following the SVG convention. If
someone wants to match a gradient to a rotated object, they can easily
add a minus sign.

Brendan has indicated that there are bloggers out there commenting on
the current transform implementations as being buggy or wrong for
going clockwise with it's degrees. Just wait until we are all asked to
flip our protractors over and read the numbers backwards in order to
specify direction! It is completely unintuitive to the average person,
for whom 90 degrees is up.

We could go with compass directions, I suppose, but it would be harder
to be precise. NE is 45deg (for ordinary people, I mean) and NNE is
67.5deg, but I wouldn't know how to specify something in between that
way.