Re: radial-gradient() proposal

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
> linear-gradient(yellow, blue) - diagonal from top left to bottom right
> linear-gradient(top, yellow, blue) - same
> linear-gradient(left, yellow, blue) - same

This seems like it saves the simplest syntax for diagonal gradients,
which are surely fairly uncommon?  The shortest syntax should be for
vertical or horizontal gradients, if possible.  Why not make the
default start and end points center top and center bottom, for a
vertical gradient, as in the current proposal?

Also, I'm not sure why you don't like having left/right/top/bottom as
shorthand for center left/center right/center top/center bottom.  This
is how background-position works, right?  It seems very unexpected to
me to specify "left" as the sole direction and get the gradient
starting in the upper left, when I never mentioned anything about top
vs. bottom.