Re: [CSS21] Proposal for a replacement for section 17.2.1 (table anonymous objects)

Brad Kemper wrote:
>> 3) If a box T is not a 'table-column' box and has a parent P which is a
>>   'table-column-group' box, discard T.
>
> Does it go without saying that if the display of parent P ever changed
> to, say, a table-body box or table-row box (via JavaScript, for
> instance), that you may need to re-insert T? Or that if T changed its
> display to 'table-column', that it should be re-inserted?

I would think so; it ought to be a fundamental principle, if it's not
already, that the box tree (and layout) only depends on the current
computed values of properties for all the nodes, not on their history...
  Hysteresis, while observed in some UAs in some cases, is highly
undesirable, in my opinion.

If desired, we could probably make display compute to none in cases like
this instead of having the rule about throwing out the box.  It probably
doesn't matter much either way; all that's affected is what the DOM
style APIs return for the relevant nodes; the rendering is the same
either way.

-Boris