RE: [css3-multicol] column-span property

It's covered by new float types in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Hujer [mailto:cher@riedquat.de]
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:43 PM
To: Alex Mogilevsky
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-multicol] column-span property

Hi,

On 2009-05-18 Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> Column-span prevously allowed values other than '1' and 'all' but it
> was scaled down because of added  complexity of cases where span has
> more columns than available.
>
> IMO the property in its current form is unnecessary. All use cases I
> can think of are covered by either page floats in GCPM or nested
> multicolumn elements.

Maybe I missed something about CSS3. I couldn't find how to do this:

abc def gh ij k    yz abc def ghij
lm n opq rst uv    kl mnop q r stu
wxy zab +----------------+ v wxy z
cd efgh |                | ab de f
ijk lmn | something else | ghi jkl
opqr st |                | mn opqr
v wxyza +----------------+ stuvw x
bcd ef ghij klm    yz abc def g hi
no pq rstu vw x    jklmn o p qr st

A multicolumn layout where columns flow aronud something which is placed relative to columns and spans columns across the gap.

Because I couldn't find that, I thought I'd suggest this. Maybe I missed something about page floats which is able to do that?

--
 .  Christian Hujer   mailto:cher@riedquat.de  http://www.riedquat.de/

..: PGP Fingerprint: 09EB 64CC 578F 5DFD 2FD5 36E5 072B 32FE 391B C25A Random fortune:
You have acquired a scroll entitled 'irk gleknow mizk'(n).--More--

This is an IBM Manual scroll.--More--

You are permanently confused.
  -- Dave Decot