Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2009, at 5:01 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:08 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Those are good questions. I suppose for simplicity anything outside the
>>> border-box would not participate in hit testing or hover testing.
>>
>> This would also be a very good argument for still combining
>> border-radius with border-image; border-radius will clip the hit box,
>> which can be useful to match up with some border-image shapes.
>
> For hit-testing, yes. For clipping, no. If I have to chose between
>  hit-testing and not having my image clipped by the radius, then I prefer
> the latter. Consider an images like these:
>
> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/borders.png
>
> In each case, it would be useful to have border-radius for fallback, for
> background-clipping, and for hit/hover-testing, but not for clipping the
> border-image.

Certainly; I did not mean to imply otherwise.  It should have a layout
effect, as it does now, but in and of itself be invisible, and have no
effect on border-image (which already ignores all other layout
concerns in your proposal).

~TJ