Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] Suggestion: Remove background-break and border-break

On Mar 26, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:12 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
>> I can't really think of any valid use cases for which bounding-box
>> and each-box would be interesting.
>>
>> I think border-break:close is clearly useful. I suspect that it's
>> what authors would expect for blocks with borders breaking across
>> page or column boundaries.
>>
>> Rob
>> --
>
> I agree. Similarly, if you have a background that is supposed to
> align with the top, bottom, or middle of the box, then it seems
> likely that you would want it to break in the same fashion as border-
> break. That is, if there are two border-tops and two border-bottoms
> for each element because of a page break, then the backgrounds
> should similarly be repeated on both pages. But if the border
> breaking policy is to treat it as one box that's been sliced in two,
> then it should work the same way for backgrounds.
>
> It does seem to me that border-break and background-break should be
> the same property. Thus, if border-break is "none", then background-
> break should be "each box", otherwise should be "continuous". Then
> again, I don't really understand the difference between "continuous"
> and "bounding-box" (I don't think it is explained very clearly). Is
> "bounding-box" really needed, or just for edge cases, or should it
> replace "continuous"? It seems like it is trying to do something
> special when there are varying page widths, but it is something
> nothing else about the box does.
>
> By the way, what happens if I specify 'border-break:close', then
> give my element 12-inch bottom-padding, and print it out on 11-inch
> high paper? Does smoke start billowing out of the sides of my
> computer? Or does it print an infinite number of sheets of paper as
> it tries to insert the padding onto each page?

It feels like these properties have more relevance in paged media than
they do for inline elements or columns.  (Just support pseudo elements
for the column boxes if you want them to support backgrounds/borders!)

I don't much see the point of either the bounding box model or the
each box model for inline elements, nor do I really see much point to
border-break: close for inline elements.  I also don't like that these
are two properties, since I can't imagine setting one and not the other.

I wonder if this *-break stuff could just become a paged media
property and move to that draft, e.g., page-box-break or something.

I'm just looking for ways to pare this draft down so that we get it
implemented and finished more quickly....

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)