Re: @font-face, Font Families and Computed Values ?

Faruk Ateş wrote:
>> You're confusing "computed value" (which is a construct primarily of
>> use in handling properties with "inherit" values or that inherit by
>> default) and "used value" (which tells you what really happened).  I'd
>> think that you'd really want to inherit font-family "as specified".
>> Anything else leads to pretty bizarre behavior...
>
> It would appear so, yes. I guess I was expecting Computed Value to "be"
> the Used Value since there is no "getUsedValue" method or anything of
> that kind, as far as I'm aware? In other words, I'm essentially asking
> for something that just flat out doesn't exist in any spec nor User Agent.
>
> Correct?

Not sure what your last sentence means, but basically getComputedStyle
was meant to return CSS 2.0 computed values.  Those are not the same as
CSS 2.1 computed values, and are closer to CSS 2.1 used values; the
problem is that used values are not always available (e.g. if the
element hasn't been laid out, who knows what it's used width is?).  So
the API ends up returning some bizarre mishmash of computed and used
values at the moment...

-Boris