Re: Cascading Style Sheet Animations?

At 22:06  +0000 3/03/09, Oscar Godson wrote:
>I'm not sure if I even understand this or how this got put into the
>specs of CSS. Animations are not styles in any way.

>where years later we are trying to correct the issue
>with separating the presentation from the structure of the page. Why
>wouldn't there be an animation language we could place in a <link/>
>tag and have the browser render all animations in language made for
>animations.

I think this is very much debatable.  If, for example, my company
logo is round, and when it can be, is shown as a 'spinning disc', but
in print is stationary, I prefer that it is animated as a
presentation issue on the web.  But it's valid unanimated.  This is
presentational.

>Can't we put effort and time into getting support for valid web page
>styles like shadows, columns, gradients, border styles, multiple
>backgrounds etc rather than trying to go completely outside the
>scope of CSS. We can't even have real columns or rounded corners but
>we want to be able to dynamically change properties of the
>current partially browser supported properties?

I don't think that, for the most part, this is an either/or.  We at
Apple volunteer the work to progress this, and we also do our best to
implement, review, and suggest improvements to the specs of, new work
in the CSS group.

>As of now we dynamically manipulate CSS with JavaScript to have the
>_appearance of animations_, but shouldn't we just have a language
>that _actually animates_ the DOM?

Note that for embedded animated material, SVG can be used in browsers
that support it.
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.