Re: New work on fonts at W3C

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
> So browsers that send incorrect headers would fail to work with linked
>> fonts in this scenario? That seems like something browser vendors might be
>> willing to fix.
>

> The big problem is that some firewalls strip Referer headers because they
> don't want to reveal URLs of internal pages. For example, if
> https://intranet.mozilla.com/Orbital_Mind_Control_Lasers.html links to
> http://www.nasa.gov, Mozilla might not want nasa.govadministrators to see
> that URL in their Referer logs. So Referer is not really fixable.
>

> So the result would be that the Mozilla intranet would see the NASA pages
> without NASA's embedded fonts, then right?

My understanding is that because of that problem, many firewalls are
configured to strip ALL Referer headers. So all users behind such a firewall
would be denied all fonts on servers that do Referer checking.

> For a lot of site authors, this might be acceptable, or they might send you
> a second-choice open license font instead. I wonder if it would be
> acceptable to the font publishers. It would not be that different from sites
> that block de-referred browsers from seeing their images.

Sure, it might be acceptable, but default same-origin checks plus CORS are a
better solution: more reliable, more privacy for users, more convenient for
authors.

Rob
53:5-6]