Re: New work on fonts at W3C

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com<Simetrical%2Bw3c@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> Specifically, if a browser vendor doesn't like RootStrings, they can
> just refuse to process any EOT file with a non-null RootString.  If
> they don't like XOR obfuscation, they can refuse to process any EOT
> file with XOR obfuscation.  If they don't like MTX compression --
> maybe because there's been no official release of the patents yet but
> only promises, or because they don't want to bother supporting yet
> another compression algorithm -- then they can refuse to process fonts
> using MTX compression.

This means fragmenting the EOT format into EOT-without-rootstrings,
EOT-without-compression, EOT-full, etc. In particular, if some browsers only
support EOT-without-rootstrings but font vendors require their fonts to have
rootstrings, nothing much has been gained except confusion (and perhaps an
opportunity has been lost).

Echoing what John D said earlier, I'm personally comfortable with Ascender's
proposal, and I'd support shipping it in a future version of Firefox
(alongside support for plain TT/OT).

Rob
53:5-6]