RE: New work on fonts at W3C

On Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:53 PM Thomas Lord wrote:

> Vlad,
>
> I understand you to advocate for either or both:
>
> a) "XORing a few bits" in an existing font
>
> b) Applying compression in an ad-hoc, novel way
>    with little or know advantage over whole-file
>    gzip other than "obscurity"

First of all, to make things clear, MTX compression gives you a
significant advantage in compression efficiency comparing to generic
whole-file gzip. And, since MTX compression is offered on GPL-compatible
terms, there is no "obscurity" either - anyone will be free to use it
any way you like.

>From the compression efficiency point of view - it is known that
exploiting the known redundancies of the target object will yield you
much better compression results. This is true for audio (mp3), still
image (jpeg) and video (h.264) - this is also true for fonts. MTX does
exactly that.

Monotype made an offer to contribute this technology for the web, and I
see no contradiction in using the technology to compress a specific type
of payload (font) in a generic wrapper format you propose to adopt -
these two technology simply complement each other. I believe we both
agree that compression is always a benefit, and having a compressed font
file will speed up the page download and processing. If W3C and browser
vendors adopt the MTX technology, they will be pioneers in implementing
a solution that may enjoy wide-spread use in the future.

Regards,
Vlad