Re: border-images with hollow center

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 19:24, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems the WG was split between B & C, but A or C seem most reasonable to me (and I favor C). [...]
>
> On Jun 16, 2009, at 11:47 PM, fantasai wrote:
>
>  <fantasai> A) Keep the middle by default. Add 'empty' to clip it.
>  <fantasai> B) Clip the middle by default. Add 'fill' to use it.
>  <fantasai> C) No keyword, always kept. (Make transparent as needed.)
>
> [...]
>
>  RESOLVED: Clip middle by default, add 'fill' to use it

I agree with Brad as well. Having just read his (excellent) proposal
[1], which is being used in the current draft [2], I'm a little
puzzled by the choice for B. Apart from the reasons he already
mentioned, that proposal removes the necessary 1-to-1 relationship
between the padding-box and the middle image. I'm pretty sure that for
most cases where the padding-box and middle image don't match up, the
default of clipping the middle is going to be nonsensical, unless it's
transparent or matches the background anyway.

Option A feels like little more than a fallback for JPEG borders which
need the transparency. Furthermore, that usage would probably be
limited to cases where the middle image does match the padding-box.
Other than that, it is mostly harmless and sounds like a reasonable
compromise between B and C.

Jorrit

[1] http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/Thinking_Outside_The_Box.html
[2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#border-images

P.S. alternatives to 'empty': clip, clear, blank, edges-only, no-center?

(P.P.S. Sorry Brad, I forgot to include www-style.)