RE: New work on fonts at W3C

I don't think there is a universal @font-face/raw font support at this time. So, I am sorry, I simply do not understand why we are trying so hard to make site owners/authors go to the great length by means of client-side scripting and sneaky hacks (that are tricky and may not work) to support raw fonts when there is simple solution that requires minimal efforts on both browser side and from web authors - compress a font before you put it on a server and decompress it in a browser before you pass it on to OS for rendering.