Re: New work on fonts at W3C

On Jun 21, 2009, at 11:48 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:17:33 +0200, François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr
> > wrote:
>> This is the intent of my request, indeed. I never said a simple
>> header
>> would provide full restriction.
>
> I am not really sure how to explain this in a simple way, but what
> XMLHttpRequest does is different semantically from what @font-face
> does. What is protected by the Access-Control-Allow-Origin header
> (and indeed, by the same-origin restriction on XMLHttpRequest before
> that) in case of simple requests using the GET method is not the
> request, but the exposure of the response entity body. This is a
> vastly different scenario from fonts (and images), where the
> response entity body is not exposed and therefore does not need
> protection. (Until you make it more complicated with e.g. <canvas>,
> but lets not go there.)
>
> I do not think that twisting the semantics of Access-Control-Allow-
> Origin to do other things than the above is a good thing. Especially
> in the way you seem to be suggesting. I.e. that the presence of the
> header can somehow have a negative affect compared to it not being
> there at all.

Are you saying that there is a technical barrier to having CORS
provide restrictions instead of just easing restrictions, because it
would need to prevent a resource from loading instead of just
preventing it from executing? Or is it more of a philosophical problem
because that was not the original intent of the standard?