Re: New work on fonts at W3C

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Dave Crossland<dave@lab6.com> wrote:
> I think its important to frame this issue in terms of benefiting
> users, not "reducing piracy."

I don't think framing the issue in terms of benefiting users is a good
idea.  There are fundamental differences of opinion here about what's
best for users, and it seems very unlikely to me that these would be
resolved by (still further) debate.  Any progress needs to be focused
on whether there would be some compromise format that would be
acceptable to all major browser vendors, *given* that they disagree in
principle on the best sort of format.  (The support of font foundries
is nice, of course, but not very useful without browser support.)