Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

Hello

On Monday 01 June 2009, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> I wrote:
>  > page-break-before: auto    break-before: auto        No forced pb/cb
>  > before the element

> I've added these to a new multicol draft:
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol/#column-breaks
>
> The values are now symmetrical: you can express all preferences
> for pages, columns, and both.
>
> It makes more sense to describe the mappings and the break-*
> properties in CSS3-PAGE.

A few quick comments:

At "break-before:always " the description should probably be: "pb/cp forced
before the element"

If we have a unified break-before syntax, it makes no sense to force authors
to treat columns and pages differently. Also break-before: page is already
synonymous with page-break-before:always

More controversial is what to do with "break-before: left" and "break-before:
right". In page-breaks, left and right are stronger version of always. So as a
minimum they need to imply break-before: always, and thus also column-break-
before:always. This is my preferred solution, as it eases migration from pages
to columns. Another solution is renaming them to "break-before: left-page" and
break-before: right-page" to indicate they are just stronger versoin of
"break-before: page".

Regards
`Allan Sandfeld