Re: [css3-text] text-overflow and vertical overflow

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 15:31:36 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> In case of vertical overflow would it be acceptable to let
>> text-overflow apply to the last fully visisible line and disregard the
>> remaining lines or would a different solution be more appropriate?
>
> I recall this idea was rejected during the F2F, but it seems nothing
> regarding the rationale or resolution has been minuted in
>
>   http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/css/20090603#l-494
>
> so I think we need to do this again.

It was rejected because the behavior of using ellipsis on every
horizontally overflowing line in a case that also has vertical
overflow has valid use cases. E.g. a text editor may choose to
indicate which lines overflow the viewport in the horizontal
direction, and not give any special indication of overflow in
the vertical direction.

There seemed to be agreement if an indicator of vertical overflow
was needed, a separate property would be required. It was also
noted that this would be useful on paged media.

It appears none of this was minuted, however. :/

~fantasai