Re: [css3-flexbox] Proposal for collapsing box elements depending on containing box size

Hi James,

On Jul 31, 2009, at 11:14 AM, James Elmore wrote:

> 4. maintain their sizes, but 'collapse' completely when they don't
> fit (I hope I understood the original correctly);
> 5. expand and shrink with the flex, but 'collapse' when space is
> limited.
>
> Additionally, boxes might (should) indicate missing material. As
> text uses an ellipsis (...) when some characters / words do not fit
> on a screen and do not overflow, something similar for 'collapsed'
> or 'missing' boxes or other elements could be very useful.

Right. For instance in Cocoa toolbars or Safari tabs, there is a pull
down menu at the end of the toolbar that is eventually created to give
access to collapsed elements.

However it seems that this is an additional feature that could be
added later on.

> Keywords and values (akin to the 'flex' values) could indicate the
> amount of 'flex' both for expansion and shrinking, and collapse.

'flex' is already about expansion and shrinking.

A box can be collapsible without being flexible at all. I don't think
the two concepts should be merged under a 'flex' name.

Pierre.