Re: [CSS3 Colors] HSL colors, hue and allowed values, [CSS3 gcpm] CMYK colors and allowed values.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:33 PM, L. David Baron<dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 2009-07-30 19:21 -0700, David Perrell wrote:
>> CMYK is not a perceptual color spec. CMYK specifies halftone screen values
>> to be used in offset printing. How it is eventually perceived depends on ink
>> manufacture, printing press adjustments, paper stock, lighting and other
>> variables. I don't understand why the CSS spec should be concerned with
>> CMYK.
>
> For what it's worth, I agree that CSS shouldn't have CMYK, and
> when that part of the CMYK draft came up in group discussion, I
> think there was more opposition than support.

I'm curious, do browsers actually do color management with RGB colors
today, treating them as sRGB and doing further things with that
information?

Personally, I use unmanaged CMYK quite frequently and am happy to do
so. I have a CMYK printer, and for certain purposes I often want to
specify things just in terms of ink proportions so as to get
relatively "clean" colors to act as spot colors (e.g. printing a true
50%K 100%M with no other colors mixed in due to color management).
However, I won't claim to be the typical CSS author, and I don't know
that I'd use unmanaged CMYK in CSS very often.

Cheers,