Re: parsing issue in the editor's draft of css3-image

On Jul 20, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Bert Bos wrote:

> If there is a need for a new technology to specify alternatives,
> then I
> think it is *more* necessary that it works with HTML and other content
> formats than with style sheets. Maybe somebody can create a new
> (image)
> format that consists of (pointers to) alternatives. A tiny XML-based
> format would do the trick. And to avoid an extra network round
> trip, it
> can always be put in a data URL.
>
>     File: "myimage.alt"
>     <alt>
>     <li url="myimage.svg"/>
>     <li url="myimage.png"/>
>     </alt>

I like the currently existing HTML solution. For example for <object>
elements; if the object (src/url, whatever) can NOT be found and/or
loaded, the contents of the element (between <object> and </object>)
are displayed, but if the object is displayable, the contents are
ignored. Can we do something like this in CSS? I don't like the
immediately obvious, but ugly, url("first.png", url("second.png")).
But there might be something in CSS syntax using "{" and "}", for
example, which might resolve similarly.

If the alternatives are to replace HTML elements, then using HTML to
specify alternates makes sense, and there is (at least) one possible
solution. If the alternatives are for CSS (e.g., background images),
then please do not request a change in HTML. Adding to HTML to
resolve a CSS problem sounds 'fraught with danger' and ugly, besides.

> Bert
> --
>   Bert Bos                                ( W 3 C ) http://www.w3.org/
>   http://www.w3.org/people/bos                               W3C/ERCIM
>   bert@w3.org                             2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93
>   +33 (0)4 92 38 76 92            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France

</James>