Re: [CSSWG] CSS3 Lists on dev.w3.org

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> That would be <http://www.smontagu.org/>.
>
> In particular, http://www.smontagu.org/writings/HebrewNumbers.html seems
> relevant, but sadly the references section never got filled in.

I'm not clear from reading that page on whether the "thousands"-based
system given is standard or was just a suggestion he came up with.  It
basically consists of just writing out Hebrew words explicitly that
would otherwise be implied.  Rather like saying "123 thousands of
thousands 456" instead of "123,000,456" if you didn't have zero.

I notice that he also suggests using "million", "billion", etc. as a
possibility in place of "thousands of thousands", "thousands of
thousands of thousands", etc.  That would at least make unreasonably
large numbers more compact than what the spec suggests.

I'll e-mail him for further info.