Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

On Jan 30, 2009, at 7:34 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:

>> It seems that having authoring tools that just output e.g. NFC
>> would do
>> the trick for those users.
>
> Unfortunately it's not so simple.  You can't predict or constrain
> people as to what editing tools they use, and in languages like
> HTML and  CSS, which are designed to be readable source that is
> editable by simple text editors, such as notepad, you can't rely on
> the editor to do the right thing.  The complicating factor in this
> is that if you use a keyboard on a Mac (I'm talking *keyboard*
> here, not editor) it naturally and consistently tends to produce a
> sequence of characters that a keyboard on a Windows PC will not.

In addition, if someone is using JavaScript to modify the DOM or to
update the CSS at runtime, this will need to be normalized as well.
This seems to be a large can of worms (a messy problem). The only
good thing I can say is that this problem is much smaller now than it
will be in a few years. Resolve it soon, please.

</James>