Re: Proposal for limited :matches pseudoclass

Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Ok, so I am the last person to claim encyclopedic knowledge of the DOM,
> but I didn't know there was any such thing as document.open or
> document.close, and my naive expectation was that a bare document.write
> had no lingering side effects.

It's rather the opposite.  In the W3C DOM, there is no such thing as
document.write to the current document, there is only an
open-write-close sequence for creating complete new documents.  In the
W3C DOM, modifications to the current document should be done by
manipulating the DOM.

As far as I can remember, even the Netscape 4 DOM had document.open,
although it allows current document writes.

--
David Woolley