RE: [css3-values] new editor's draft (and [css3-box])

"device-pixel-ratio" would be one of the ways to make it work (although setting sizes will be tricky and involve fractional pixels). Not sure if it's better than simply letting people use device pixels, since it makes it possible anyway.

I understand the resistance to adding easy means for creating layout that could be broken by zoom, and I am probably more on Robert's side than not. We were talking about use cases though, and they exist...

From: David Hyatt [mailto:hyatt@apple.com]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 2:07 PM
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Alex Mogilevsky; Håkon Wium Lie; Christoph Päper; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-values] new editor's draft (and [css3-box])

On Jan 19, 2009, at 3:55 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com<mailto:alexmog@microsoft.com>> wrote:
However if the site is a photographer's portfolio, the artist will likely want his or her pictures to be rendered at optimal resolution (pixel-to-pixel), and they probably have the originals in enormous resolution so they can provide higher resolution images for high resolution displays (and they can know when to pick high resolution originals, e.g. from media query).

If they're using media queries to pick the image file, then why do they need a device pixel unit? They should just specify a fixed px size for the image in the page, set background-size:100%, and use media queries to pick a 1x, 2x, 3x etc resolution file.

We probably should have a media query value that describes the device-pixel-to-CSS-pixel ratio being used by the user agent, to make that approach work optimally. I think that would be a much better solution for this use case.

This is in fact implemented by WebKit.

device-pixel-ratio

dave
(hyatt@apple.com<mailto:hyatt@apple.com>)