Re: [css3-values] new editor's draft (and [css3-box])

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>wrote:

> However if the site is a photographer's portfolio, the artist will likely
> want his or her pictures to be rendered at optimal resolution
> (pixel-to-pixel), and they probably have the originals in enormous
> resolution so they can provide higher resolution images for high resolution
> displays (and they can know when to pick high resolution originals, e.g.
> from media query).

If they're using media queries to pick the image file, then why do they need
a device pixel unit? They should just specify a fixed px size for the image
in the page, set background-size:100%, and use media queries to pick a 1x,
2x, 3x etc resolution file.

We probably should have a media query value that describes the
device-pixel-to-CSS-pixel ratio being used by the user agent, to make that
approach work optimally. I think that would be a much better solution for
this use case.

Currently there isn't a good way to declaratively say that a particular
> image is to be rendered directly at screen pixels and not be affected by
> zoom. A device pixel unit would be a good way to do it. Also, an option to
> not zoom intrinsic size would help in same scenario (that would belong to
> box model).

Having a unit that is unaffected by zoom would be a very bad idea IMHO. Zoom
needs to work reliably, partly for accessibility reasons, and I wouldn't
want it to be too easily broken.

Rob
53:5-6]