Re: Disadvantages of ch unit (was: stability of root em unit spec)

Thomas Phinney schrieb:
> FWIW, in most (though by no means all) fonts, the digits are
> monospaced, even if the font is not.

Because the use of Unicode is young, and the possibility to
offer different sets of digits was not important enough
for font developer, but this can change.

> That being said, I agree that knowing the width of the zero alone,
> without knowing for sure that the digits are monospaced, would seem to
> be of limited value.

Even if you know it for sure, it does say nothing for
Devanagari, Urdu, Farsi, Arab, Hebraic, and many other
languages with own digit glyphs*.

Also in chinese text you prefer the fullwidth alternatives, even
if you use western digits. Than again you are in trouble.

regards,
   Josef

*) only mention where decimal system is common. (at least, i think so)