Re: [css3-background] border-radius shorthand syntax

fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote on 2009/01/09 4:39:29

> MURAKAMI Shinyu wrote:
> > I'm curious about the border-radius shorthand syntax.
> > Is it too late to reconsider about the border-radius shorthand syntax?
>
> See what Anne said. We had extensive discussions about this syntax both
> here, in the WG, and also on css3.info. This syntax is more powerful than
> the previous shorthand syntax, which only allowed one set of radii, and
> it makes more common settings easy.
>
> See
>    http://www.css3.info/border-radius-apple-vs-mozilla/
> and
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Sep/0092.html
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2007JulSep/0181.html

Thank you for pointing it out. Now I understand why the border-radius
shorthand syntax was changed in a backwards incompatible way.
I agree it should not be rechanged at this point.

> Since the previous drafts were only WDs and there were no CRs of this
> functionality, I would expect all vendors to have used a vendor prefix
> when implementing border-radius. So there shouldn't be a backwards-compat
> problem here.

Yes we (Antenna House) also use prefix -ah- for that purpose.
But we hope the draft spec will improve in a backwards compatible way if
possible. It is inconvenient that we cannot implement new draft's
functionality before the spec will be CR since we had implemented old
draft. Or probably if we had '-ah-border-radius' for old draft, we have
to define different name such as '-ah-new-border-radius' for new draft's
'border-radius'. We would like to avoid that.

Fortunately for us, Antenna House's CSS implementation is very new and
not yet released as product version. The beta version has old draft's
border-radius for some reason but it can be changed so that the current
draft's border-radius syntax will be supported.

--
Shinyu Murakami
http://www.antennahouse.com