Re: [css3-linebox] aligning lines

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
> Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:
>
>  > > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-linebox/#line-stacking-strategy
>
>  > Based on that document, it appears that line-stacking-strategy is
>  > replaced by line-box-contain and a few other properties.  Is this
>  > true?  If so, is this question still relevant?
>
> The requirement to support inter-column baseline alignment stands, and
> I 'line-stacking-strategy' sounds like the right property. I'm unsure
> about what 'line-box-contain' does, there seems to be a typo in the
> description ("height height").

>From what I understand, line-box-contain accomplishes the same thing
as line-stacking-strategy, except in a more modular way, as you can
specify exactly what combination of properties should go into the
calculation of the size of the line-box (without a combinatorial
explosion of values).

> In my mind, I'd like to have one property to describe how to calculate
> the height of a line (called line-height, stacking-height or
> something), and another to say how to stack the lines. The
> inter-column constraint will be a value on the second property.

It seems like the two can go together.  In fact, you'd just have to
add one additional value to line-box-contain (perhaps 'grid') to get
it to work.  It would work similarly to the 'block' value, except that
rather than being (paraphrasing) "at least as large as the root inline
box's height" it would be "an exact multiple of the root inline box's
height".