Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS

fantasai 2009-02-14 00.22:
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> fantasai 2009-02-13 20.32:
>>
>>> alpha("a-z")
>>> alpha("a-f,q-z")
>>> alpha("do,re,mi,fa,so,la,ti")
>>
>> Do you use 'alpha' for "latin alphabet"? Or could alpha be used for
>> Cyrillic as well?
>
> alpha() is simply functional notation. What characters you put in its
> argument is unrelated to its name. I chose alpha() rather than something
> else because it is alphabetic systems that we are discussing here. See
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/#numeric

I asked because in "upper-*alpha*" and "lower-*alpha*" the "alpha"
is linked to Latin.

>> If you are taking your pattern from the way RegEx/GREP is working,
>> then remember that e.g. \p{Armenian} matches any character in the
>> Armenian block.[1]
>>
>> Hence e.g.
>>             alpha(armenian)
>> could also be useful.
>
> For a lot of languages this might wind up matching various bits of
> punctuation and other characters that aren't quite letters.

That is why I said "pattern". I proposed to Daniel that e.g.
"upper-case-no" or "upper-case-norwegian" could have been useful.
So I had in mind using alpha(keyword) instead. But such a thing
would perhaps polute the idea ...

>> Btw, why did you pick "alpha"? Why not "numb"? Or do you think that
>> e.g. pure symbols should be excluded or have another name?
>
> If we needed numeric(), it would treat the first character as a
> zero value. I'm happy to just add keywords for the numeric systems,
> however. There are vastly fewer permutations of them. Afaict, given
> the way they've encoded Persian separate from Arabic-Indic, none
> in fact.

I only meant to replace "alpha()" with "numb()". But perhaps
alpha() is good enough. So, one would have to write e.g.
alpha(1-99) if one wanted an enumeration that worked for CD-s? [1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD#Logical_structure
--
leif halvard silli