Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>> > So one question just came to mind: how do we deal with box-shadow
>> > "spread"
>> > if we're using the border-images to generate a non-rectangular mask? I
>> > don't
>> > see any reasonable option.
>>
>> I can't think of anything that wouldn't be computationally ridiculous.
>>  Would it be horrible to just ignore it?
>

> You mean ignore "spread" if border-images are present? Slightly unclean, but
> perhaps the best option.

Yeah.

However, could we achieve what we want by simply having each pixel
inherit the highest alpha value of any pixel within X of it, with X
depending on the spread?  Negative spreads would inherit the lowest
alpha instead.

Obviously more expensive than ignoring it, but not as bad as, say,
edge-detecting and trying to intelligently grow it.