Re: Changing property names

Anton Prowse wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>> The problem with changing names of properties at this late stage is
>> that people are already using the existing names in their style sheets.
>> This module is so well advanced implementation-wise that you see things
>> like
>>   -webkit-border-radius
>>   -moz-border-radius
>>   border-radius
>> in tutorials etc.
>
> Part of me feels sad that this is a concern (in general, not specific to
> this borders topic); isn't a significant aim of having vendor prefixes
> that we do /not/ get locked into certain property names, value names or
> value behaviour until the spec is reasonably mature, eg past Working
> Draft?  I suppose it's a numbers game though, and perhaps value
> consistency is a more powerful motivation than property name change for
> avoiding lock-in.
>
> Incidentally, which UAs support the un-prefixed "border-radius"?

It's not any UAs that support the unprefixed name. It's that many
authors have already begun using it in conjunction with prefixed
names as a way of preparing for more widespread implementation.
Changing the name now wouldn't actually break anything right now,
but it would be confusing. If we want to change the name of these
properties, we'd have to weight the benefit of the name change
against breaking authors' expectations.

~fantasai