Re: Gradient syntax proposal

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:54 PM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Brad Kemper wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 2009, at 11:00 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I would prefer restricting stops to percentages. The swapping effect
>>> is confusing, and I don't see any reason you'd /need/ to use lengths
>>> when you can specify the length of the overall gradient already.
>>
>> I can think of plenty of situations where  I'd want the whole gradient to
>> be a fixed distance, regardless of box size, and regardless of angle. I'd
>> like to be able to set that in a simple grammar, using color-stops only.
>> It's not nearly as simple if the angle is not a multiple of 90, and I have
>> to use bg-position.
>
> This is not simple?
>
>  linear-gradient(top left 135deg 200px / red, white, blue)
>  /* linear gradient from top left corner angled at 135deg going for 200px
>     transitioning from red to white to blue */

That requires an *additional* argument to the angle construction.
It's equally easy to do:

linear-gradient(135deg / red, white, blue 200px)

(You probably meant an angle other than 135deg, btw.  That points up
into the top-left, and would currently result in a pure-blue gradient
as the starting and ending points are identical.)