Re: Shadows vs. layout

On Aug 3, 2009, at 3:14 PM, fantasai wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote:
>> On Aug 3, 2009, at 1:45 PM, fantasai
>> <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, yes, the outset shouldn't affect layout. But whether it should
>>> trigger overflow is another issue.
>> Overflow does affect layout, doesn't it? If my image bordered
>> element is inside another element that is floated, then the width
>> of the floated element changes based on whether or not the overflow
>> from the border-image is widening it or not. That then affects what
>> other elements can sidle up alongside it.
>
> Ok, by trigger overflow I mean trigger scrolling. Content that
> overflows
> a box doesn't affect the layout of elements outside the box, except
> insofar as it triggers scrolling behavior.

Well, I would think that if it is not affecting the layout/size of
elements outside of itself, then it would also not affect the size
layout of such element even if it was a BODY element or viewport.
Ergo, it's parent would not be larger as a result, and would therefore
not need to scroll anyway if it didn't before. Is not the scroll bar
appearing as the result of some parent element getting wider? ANd if a
parent element can get wider because of the overflow of a shadow or
outline or border-image, then it can affect layout. That's the point I
was trying to make, so correct me if there is some logical flaw to my
argument that I am missing, please.

>> Also, suppose my BODY element has 16px of padding and no margin or
>> border.
>> Now I put a 32px wide border-image around it with a 32px offset. In
>> that
>> case, I would expect the border-image to be clipped on all four sides
>> (or at least three). If it was clipped on the left and top but
>> scrollable
>> to the right and bottom, that would just be weird.
>
> Why would you do something like that?

Perhaps I have a border that is used in more than one way, at
different scales, with a shadow built into it. If I put it on the
body, Perhaps the strongest part of the image is a 2px line that would
fall 8px outside of the padding, and most of what is outside that is a
very light, very blurry shadows or glows on some images that are tiled
on the right and left sides. I don't want them to cause scrolling (its
not important to for people to have to scroll to see the outside edge
of a blur), but I might want to use the border-image in other places
too, where the blurred edge is not cut off by the viewport.