Re: Shadows vs. layout

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 4, 2009, at 11:27 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2009, at 10:25 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

>>> That oddity already exists with all scrollable overflow.  Make an
>>> absolute positioned element with a negative top/left and a right/
>>> bottom that goes out past the bottom right edge of the container.
>>> You'll see that you can't scroll to reveal the top/left corner of
>>> the object but will be able to reveal the right/bottom.
>>>
>>> I would not get too hung up on this, as it has more to do with
>>> user agents not having a decent model for scrolling to reveal the
>>> top/left area without putting the scrollbar at a bizarre position
>>> to start.  I don't think it's particularly relevant to the
>>> discussion, since this bizarre behavior is just part of all
>>> scrollable overflow.
>>
>> The intended relevance was that even though the ship has sailed for
>> the idea of changing how positioned elements can expand the
>> scrollable page size (as people are using that already for layout
>> and changing it now would be disastrous), it would be best to
>> reduce the amount of bizarre oddities and unexpected, difficult to
>> explain seeming inconsistencies. I understand why technically you
>> don't really consider it all that inconsistent, but it is hardly
>> obvious to authors. If a page/pane beneath the viewport is a
>> certain size and then I add a purely visual effect that is not
>> supposed to affect layout, then I really don't expect that pane to
>> grow larger. That includes what happens with abs pos elements, but
>> I realize we can't change those now, so I am just hoping for a
>> better situation re: other non-layout effects not changing layout
>> (including parent widths).
>>

> You keep bringing absolutely positioned elements up, and I don't see
> how they are relevant to this discussion at all.

I am not bringing it up repeatedly, I was responding to your message
in which you brought it up as an already existing "oddity" and
"bizarre" but explainable behavior. I responded by saying I agree it
is odd and bizarre and non-intuitive for authors, and that we should
not have similar bizarre oddities for shadows, etc. as we do now in
current implementations. That is how I see it as relevant, which I was
explaining in answer to your statement that "I don't think it's
particularly relevant to the discussion, since this bizarre behavior
is just part of all scrollable overflow." if it is all part of the
same shared behavior, then of course it is relevant to the
conversation about why this behavior is unwanted for scrollable
overflow created by decorative effects that (like positioned elements)
are in theory not supposed to influence the rest of the layout.

> I think it's correct behavior that you would be able to scroll to
> reveal an absolutely positioned element.   [...]

OK. I have a different point of view, but as I mentioned before, I am
not advocating that this be changed.

> The argument for what to do with shadows should be based on how we
> think shadows should work, not on what we do with other types of
> overflow.

I agree (as long as you are including other decorative non-layout-
affecting decorative properties like outline, border-image, etc. with
shadows). Current implemetions seem to be following the same overflow-
affecting-layout philosophy for shadows as for positioned items, so I
mention positioned items to say that I think shadows should not follow
that same philosophy.

> To me it is illogical not to show scrollbars for shadows, since I
> think all overflow should be consistently reachable via the
> scrolling mechanism (bizarre top/left inaccessibility issues being
> irrelevant, since they apply to all overflow).

That is where we disagree. Your reason for showing scrollbars for
positioned items (and other types of overflow-inducing items) was that
they can have vital content that may need to be reachable and
accessible. That is simply not the case with decorative visual effects
like shadows.

And while you consider the top/left behavior to be a bizarre remnant
of something else, it's final effect on the page (of not noticably
changing any geometries and not being something that creates
scrollbars by itself) is exactly what we would like the result of
shadow to be for all four sides.

You want all overflow to be consistently reachable. I do not. I want
purely decorative overflow such as shadows (which are not sipposed to
influence layout) to have the same lack of influencing the geometry as
they do on the top and left, even if that top left behavior is
currently the unintended side effect of something else.

> I seem to be the only one who feels this way, though, which is why I
> am asking that this new overflow behavior at least be specified in
> the overflow property definition rather than as a weak sentence in
> the shadow section of the backgrounds/borders module.  As Robert
> said, if we really are adding an entirely new kind of overflow,
> e.g., "ink overflow", we need to specify it formally and explain how
> it works.

I agre 100%.