Re: [css3-layout] New JavaScript implementation for Template Layout Module

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> Nice!
>
> I especially like it that you did the effort to support the draft's
> syntax. It looks like your method is a bit fragile (extra GET,
> regexp-based parsing), but it allows people to see exactly what the
> draft means.
>
> I thought your software was worth a news item on W3C's CSS pages[1].
>
> (I also added César Acebal's and Andrew Fedoniouk's prototypes. César's
> is of course a bit old by now, but Andrew's may be interesting because
> it uses a slightly different syntax which may or may not allow
> different layouts.)
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

Thanks! Interesting to learn about the other prototypes.

In order to use regular CSS files, which I assumed most authors would
prefer to do, I saw the GET method as the only way (though the option
exists to provide data as text from another source). If there's a
better way to accomplish this, I would be happy to use it instead.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, k.  I brought it up, actually, because my reading of the spec
> suggests that the stretching should *not* occur.  An example or two
> implies it in the suggested rendering, but it doesn't seem to be
> expressed anywhere in the actual rules.  I believe they should act in
> every way like ordinary elements placed into an invisible container.

Ha! I actually just made it stretch in version 1.01 (by simply
stretching the last element). I don't know how big a difference that
makes in practice, but for the purpose of using a background it looks
better to take up the entire slot. An easy thing to change back,
though.

Thanks,

Alexis