RE: Control over collapsing margins

-----Original Message-----
From: David Hyatt [mailto:hyatt@apple.com]
Sent: 22 April 2009 17:34
To: Tab Atkins Jr.
Cc: Niels Matthijs; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: Control over collapsing margins

> These properties exist in WebKit.  I proposed them for standardization

> back when I implemented them and got a lukewarm response, so never
> followed up.  I'll propose them again now in case there is more
> interest.

> -webkit-margin-top-collapse
> -webkit-margin-bottom-collapse

> Supported values are:
> collapse - Do the collapse as normal.
> separate - Don't collapse.
> discard - Do the collapse and discard the entire result (this is
> actually how margins in table cells work for many HTML elements in
> quirks mode).

> dave
> (hyatt@apple.com)

Almost a year ago I switched from primarily using paddings to primarily
using margins for element positioning. This allows for way more
flexibility and easier css coding. Even though there is little interest
in the whole margin/padding debate (as css is still about fixing and
making things work rather than clean coding), I think this will change
in the future. It would be a shame if by then we are still hindered by
such issues.

..container>* {margin:1em;} ftw!

I think personal control over collapsing margins is an important issue,
so consider me fully backing your proposal :)

Niels Matthijs