Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] Suggestion: Remove background-break and border-break

Brad Kemper wrote:

> I agree. Similarly, if you have a background that is supposed to align
> with the top, bottom, or middle of the box, then it seems likely that
> you would want it to break in the same fashion as border-break. That is,
> if there are two border-tops and two border-bottoms for each element
> because of a page break, then the backgrounds should similarly be
> repeated on both pages. But if the border breaking policy is to treat it
> as one box that's been sliced in two, then it should work the same way
> for backgrounds.
>
> It does seem to me that border-break and background-break should be the
> same property. Thus, if border-break is "none", then background-break
> should be "each box", otherwise should be "continuous". Then again, I
> don't really understand the difference between "continuous" and
> "bounding-box" (I don't think it is explained very clearly).
> Is "bounding-box" really needed, or just for edge cases, or should it
> replace "continuous"? It seems like it is trying to do something special
> when there are varying page widths, but it is something nothing else
> about the box does.

bounding-box vs. continuous becomes particularly relevant in multicol
elements.

Imagine my background image is a stretchable gradient

   :  :  : : :::

continuous for an element broken across 2 columns looks like

              +---------+
  +---------+ |  : : :::|
  |  : : :::| |  : : :::|
  |  : : :::| |  : : :::|
  |  : : :::| +---------+
  +---------+

That is, the background is rendered as if the boxes were pieces of

  +---------+
  |  : : :::|
  |  : : :::|
  |  : : :::|
  |  : : :::|
  |  : : :::|
  |  : : :::|
  +---------+

bounding-box looks like

              +---------+
  +---------+ | : : ::::|
  |    :   :| | : : ::::|
  |    :   :| | : : ::::|

That is, the background is rendered as if the boxes are cut out of

~fantasai