Re: Selectors Tests

On Wednesday 2008-10-29 21:36 -0700, Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>>  Most elements will be neither enabled nor disabled. An element is
>>>  enabled if the user can either activate it or transfer the focus to
>>>  it. An element is disabled if it could be enabled, but the user
>>> cannot
>>>  presently activate it or transfer focus to it.
>>
>> So should an <input type="text" style="display: none"> match :disabled,
>> by that reasoning?
>
> Is that a purely philosophical question, or does it matter somehow?
> Given that it is not rendered and takes up no space, and that it will
> not be disabled if display changes to something other than "none", then
> matching or not would seem to make little or no difference.

I think Boris's point is that the definition has to be written such
that the value of CSS properties has no influence on whether
selectors match.  At least I hope that was his point.

(The definition of which elements should match :disabled could
perhaps be left to the underlying markup language.  However,
Lachlan's definition clearly allows too many factors to influence
that matching.)

Whether an element is display:none absolutely cannot change whether
it matches disabled; otherwise we'd have big problems with
  :disabled { display: inline ! important; }

-David