Re: [css3-multicol] column overflow

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> Also sprach Robert O'Callahan:
>
>  > > How would it solve the problem at hand, though, if it only has an
>  > > effect when scrollbars would otherwise appear. The multicol elements
>  > > I'm trying to change don't have scrollbars in the block direction.
>  >
>  >
>  > Like so:
>  > div {
>  >   column-width: 20em;
>  >   max-height: 200px; /* or 100%, or whatever */
>  >   overflow: auto;
>  >   overflow-mode: paginate;
>  > }
>
> I still don't quite understand. The code above seems to make the
> multicol element (div) paged while the rest of the document is
> continous. So, users would have a scrollable canvas with a 200px (or
> whatever) high rectangle that uses a paged mode inside it?

Yes.

To me it makes sense to have a "overflow-mode: paginate" (or whatever)
> on the root element, but not to combine the two models in the same
> document. If we had "overflow-mode: paginate", we wouldn't need to
> constrain the height of the element -- it should automatically be
> constrained by the viewport.

True, applying this feature to the viewport would solve a lot of use cases,
but it would also be useful for interior elements. For example you might
have content like a header or sidebar or framing UI that is always visible
with another element containing the "body text" which is paginated. Or you
might have a help pane that displays paginated.

The implementation shouldn't be any harder to allow it for arbitrary
elements, so I see no reason to restrict it to the viewport.

Adding 'paginate' to overflow-style sounds great. However one issue which
occurred to me is that even if the content is paginated, a single "pagelet"
can still overflow in the block progression direction, so authors might want
to control the visibility of the block progression direction scrollbar even
in paginated mode.

Rob
53:5-6]