Re: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts

Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> This is not a fact. It is purely speculation. The poor quality of
> Microsoft's WEFT tool and the lack of interoperability with other
> browsers are just as likely to have been major factors.

I would suggest that the two main reasons were:

1) image replacement is much more flexible in terms of distorting
existing fonts and adding colours (and many interpretations of font
copyright say that bitmaps of fonts are exempt from the font copyright);

2) embedding a font is a technical, non-WYSIWYG process.

I think one also sees a trend away from embedding in PDF, e.g. people
using MSWord Word Art include it without thinking that it is really an
image.

--
David Woolley