Re: [css3-multicol] column overflow

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> Also sprach Robert O'Callahan:
>
>  > So here's a completely different proposal: overflow-mode:paginate.
>  >
>  > The idea: if an element has overflow-mode:paginate and would have a
>  > scrollbar in the block-progression-direction, instead of a regular
> scrollbar
>  > presentation, paginate the content into individual "pagelets" and show
> page
>  > navigation UI instead of the block-progression-direction scrollbar.
>
> I like it. I think there's much to gain by making more page-oriented
> presentations on screen.
>
> How would it solve the problem at hand, though, if it only has an
> effect when scrollbars would otherwise appear. The multicol elements
> I'm trying to change don't have scrollbars in the block direction.

Hmm, true.  Pagination would still only occur vertically, while you're
trying to solve a horizontal problem.  I don't think the paged media spec
has anything about page breaks being caused by too-wide elements (they just
get cut off, right?).  So this doesn't explicitly solve the problem at hand,
but it's wonderful in it's own right.

Ooh, another use for overflow-mode:paginate - slideshows.  I can already see
myself doing presentations with the content area wrapped in successive <div
class="slide">s, allowing me to maintain a steady outer template without any
work on my part.