Re: Fully transparent text and text-shadow

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:47 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 2008-10-07 11:24 +1300, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:58 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Should fully transparent text still cast a shadow via text-shadow?
> > >  Firefox's implementation does... WebKit's does not.  We can make this
> work
> > > either way in WebKit, but it would be good for this to be explicitly
> > > specified.
> >
> > I think that's just a bug that we'll be fixing shortly.
>
> Why add extra rules to the spec and extra code to create a
> discontinuity?  The color of the text doesn't normally have any
> influence on the color of its shadows.
>
> Or if text is rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.01), should we be multiplying that
> alpha component into the specified shadow colors as well?

You're right, I was mistaken. I was thinking of another bug where we would
paint fully-transparent text-decoration shadows with the foreground color
(fixed on trunk).

So yeah, the text color does not affect shadows which have their own
explicit color, and the same should be true for the text color's alpha
channel, so fully-transparent text should be able to cast a shadow.

Rob
53:5-6]