At 14:31  +0200 13/11/08, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:

>What does "reasonably strong obfuscation mechanism" mean? If it means
>MTX compression that is licensed without field-of-use restrictions what
>does it really accomplish over plain gzip compression?

I think the point of something which is there explicitly to make the
point that the object (font, in this case) is not freely
re-distributable, is that, in removing it manually, you know you are
circumventing the license, and doing something wrong.

It's like the garden gate on my garden.  It's not high, and not
locked, but if you jump over it, or open it and walk through it, you
know you are walking onto someone's property.

Gzip is a general compression utility, not designed to make this
point.  But we don't know anything complex or patented, merely
focused, to make it.
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.