RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

On Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:55 AM Dave Crossland wrote:

> I suggest a scheme with root strings not based on ENFORCING
> them, but INFORMING people about them and about full license
> texts. This is the key difference between DRM and DRE.
>
> The latest browsers all have drop-down bars that slide down
> from the top of the viewport (I think FF started it and Ie
> now uses it a lot) and FF3 even has big in-your-face noticing
> UIs for phishing sites.
> Those features can be repurposed easily as the UI for DRE,
> the mechanics of which are best suggested by Tom Lord's MIME
> notices. All fonts already have metadata license fields for
> license texts, and duplication of licensing data in EEULAAs
> seems risky.

So, you seem to suggest that in those cases when UA detects a fraudulent
use of fonts (i.e. a mismatch between website domain name and font root
string) we should punish unsuspecting end-users by displaying a full
text of font license. They wouldn't know what it is they see, why the
EULA text is displayed and what to do about it. What do you expect an
end-user reaction should be?

> I think consensus around this issue is possible, if it is
> presented in a way that convinces foundries it will stop
> casual unauthorised use.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Vlad