RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

On Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:53 AM Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach Dave Crossland:
>
>  > >  > What we do know for a fact is that Adobe, Ascender,
> Bitstream, ITC,  > >  > Linotype, Microsoft and Monotype have
> said it would be an  > >  > acceptable solution, and there
> are many more smaller foundries and  > >  > individual type
> designers who support these efforts.
>  > >
>  > > I support your efforts in trying to find a compromise,
> one that all  > > listed vendors can support. Do you think
> they will support a scheme  > > that is not based on root strings?
>  >
>  > I suggest a scheme with root strings not based on
> ENFORCING them, but  > INFORMING people about them
>
> I'm not comfortable with this. If root strings are present,
> someone will demand -- possibly through the court system --
> that they are enforced in UAs. And images, video will follow
> suit. It's better not to have root strings there in the first place.
>
> Vlad has put forward a proposal without root strings, so it
> seems that root strings aren't essential from a commercial
> font vendor perspective.

For the sake of clarity and completeness, my proposal was to replace mechanism based on root strings with the mechanism based on W3C Access Control. The original idea to use access control isn't mine, and I still need to learn more about it to be able to convince font foundries (and myself) that it will work. The major change in this approach (as I see it) is that instead of sending information about "my sites" down to the UA and asking UA to enforce it, the access control mechanism will simply prevent resource data from being served to UA if the site credentials can not be verified. If I am correct in my understanding, I think this will work.

Regards,
Vlad