On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:

> Based on the fact that FSF has published the official position on W3C RF
> policy, I presume this is not the first time when a technology submitted
> to W3C under W3C RF policy has been considered for implementation under
> GPL license. I would really appreciate if you can help me understand the
> following issues in details:
> - Have the WebKit and/or Mozilla implemented any other technologies that
> were submitted to W3C under existing W3C RF patent policy?

I personally don't know which, if any, of the W3C technologies we've
implemented are subject to patent licensing under the W3C RF policy. But I'd
be surprised if there weren't any.

- What is the criteria that is used, or the distinction that you make,
> when the decision is made whether a particular technology contributed
> under W3C RF license can or can not be implemented under GPL license?

If someone offers a blanket royalty-free license without field-of-use
restrictions (or any other restrictions incompatible with the GPL), we can
implement it. An unconditional, universal, royalty-free license would be
fine.

I am trying to understand what, if anything, can be done to make the
> font compression technology and relevant essential claims compatible
> with GPL terms, and I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks. Your effort is very much appreciated. You may want to contact the
FSF directly; they have people (even actual lawyers) experienced at
answering this sort of question. If you can get their approval, I can't
imagine Mozilla would have any further objections on patent grounds.

Rob
53:5-6]