On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:

>  I am not sure what you mean by field-of-use restriction. The item 3
> of W3C RF licensing requirements(
> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#def-RF) clearly
> states that the license may be limited to implementations of the
> Recommendation. The browser implementation would obviously qualify as an
> implementation of this (future) recommendation.

Yes. But David pointed out that that's insufficient for the open-source
licensing of two major browser engines. It's not enough that we be able to
use the method ourselves; we promise to our downstream users, via the GPL or
LGPL, that they can take our code and use it in various ways, including for
non-browser projects.

So if Monotype insists on a field-of-use restriction, it may become a W3C
standard, but we still won't be able to implement it.

Rob
53:5-6]