RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

> Dave Singer wrote:
> >

> > On the 'serving' side, we are looking for an indication in the font
> that
> > shows whether it's freely usable or not.  The 'allows embedding' bit
> has
> > been suggested, and that free fonts would have this set and
> commercial
> > fonts could have this clear, if they wish.  This isn't obviously the
> > right semantics, so that's question one; is this the right indicator?
>
> I seem to remember that the EOT format has two embedding bits (at
> least):
>
> - embeddable installable;
> - embeddable for print/preview use only.
>
> I think you mean only the former.

There are a bunch of embedding bit settings in OpenType (and its predecessor, the MS variant of TrueType), which EOT inherits from that format. The four primary settings are:

- no embedding
- preview and print only
- editable embedding
- installable embedding

(Then there are some other bits which do things orthogonal to the above.)

IF one were going to use embedding bit settings to attempt to distinguish "free fonts" or at least fonts that one could use as naked desktop fonts on web servers, then I would think installable embedding would be the setting one would look for.

BUT, I recall from previous discussions that Microsoft has some fonts set to "installable" but would not be okay with such usage of their fonts, so I don't know that such an approach would be viable.  :(

Regards,