RE: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts - new compromise proposal

Hi Boris,

Thank you for clarifying this.

> > But I don't think it would offer any protection. Do the operating
> > systems need to be updated so that they can read compressed
> versions
> > of the fonts?
>
> Vladimir's proposal is that the UA would do the
> decompression, then give the decompressed data to the OS.  In
> fact, it depends on it being a patent violation for the OS.
>
> Except, of course, for an OS that's developed by the
> patent-holder, of course.  I find this a cause for some concern.

The patent holder is Monotype Imaging and we do not develop OSs. As you
pointed out, UA will do the decompression and then just handle the data
to OS. I really don't see any need for OS to implement its own
decompressor unless the same functionality (i.e. font
compression/decompression) is going to be offered for other applications
running on that OS. And, if this is ever the case, they are always
welcome to get your own license.

Best regards,
Vladimir